Welcome to the second post on our series about PRAYER. Last week’s post introduced this series on prayer and explained what prayer is at its core. This week’s post is about why prayer is important when sponsoring a child, and next week will be about how to effectively pray for your sponsored children.
There are many reasons why we should pray, one of the reasons being that it is essential to our walk with the Lord! Having a consistent, fruitful prayer life means that you are constantly talking to God and constantly listening to God. Through prayer we change to be more like Jesus, we become closer with God, and we have the opportunity to understand the wisdom and will of God.
In the context of sponsoring a child in India, prayer is the main way that sponsors can have a lasting impact.
There are many different ways to help and impact your sponsored child. Sponsors can give monthly support; give Christmas, birthday, and Easter gifts; even coming to India to see their sponsored child. But the majority of your relationship with your sponsored child occurs in writing letters back and forth and praying for them.
Ephesians 6:18 says “And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people.”
Matthew 7:7-8 says “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.”
As Christians and sponsors, we have a unique opportunity to take part of God’s plan and command to make disciples of all nations. Just because you aren’t physically there with your sponsored child does not mean you aren’t part of His almighty plan! Unlike other relationships, sponsors are not there to physically comfort their child or give advice in a moment of need. But there is power in sponsoring a child, because of the power of God and prayer to Him.
Payal, a child who attended a CGC shares about the impact of the power of prayer in his life:
“I came to know about Jesus, and that He answers our prayers and gives solutions to our problems after I attended the CGC program. I kept on praying for my father, who was an alcoholic. After I fasted and prayed for fifteen days, my father left his drinking. I experienced a miracle! My family is now full of joy.”
Below are some general prayer requests for the children in Love One More’s care. Please write to your child to find out specific prayer requests you can pray for him or her!
- Pray for their studies. School can be an exciting time to learn, but it comes with its challenges. According to India’s 2011 census, only 74% of Indians are literate. Even though it has increased tremendously throughout the years, India is still home to the largest population of illiterate adults. It is very important to do well in school, as it sets up success down the road.
- Pray for the weather. Throughout the past 6 months, we have received multiple requests from the children to pray for God to send rain. Many places in India experience drought and severe weather.
- Pray for the children’s family. Many of the children in Love One More’s program have a relationship with Jesus, but their families do not. Pray the children can have boldness in sharing the Gospel, and for their family’s hearts that they would be open to hearing about God’s truth and love.
- Pray for the child’s health. Many people in India do not have the financial capacity nor the ability to travel to a hospital to get treatment for ailments. Pray the children can remain healthy and not get sick!
- Pray for the children personally. Writing your child allows you to be a part of their life and to understand the personal hardships, struggles, and praise-worthy things they are facing. Building a relationship through writing letters and sharing photos allows more of an opportunity to pray specific prayers for your child.
- Pray for your child’s future. The government in India has focused on becoming a purely Hindu nation. The government has made it extremely difficult for Christians across India to live a normal life. Many Christians have experienced or seen hostility and abuse for following the one true God. Pray that God will protect the children as they grow in Him and grow up in a world that is against them.